WATCH | Rosettenville 10: case postponed for formal request for bail

0
  • The group faces several charges, including conspiracy to commit theft of funds in transit.
  • The NPA said investigations were ongoing.
  • The February shootout between police and suspects was described as a “war zone” by eyewitnesses.

The 10 men arrested in connection with the Rosettenville shooting that left eight dead and several police officers injured appeared in Johannesburg Magistrates’ Court on Friday.

Sihle Mazibuko, 35, Qaphela Ngubeni, 33, Menzi Shabalala, 47, Khulekani Nkosi, 36, Kitso Mnguni, 45, Phendula Mvubu, 44, Mike Ngwadi, 47, Hloniphani Dube, 40, Alex Matshebele , 40 years old and Andrew Tshobolo, 67 years old. , made a brief appearance as the case was postponed until April for their formal bail applications.

The men face eight counts of murder, as well as charges of attempted murder, possession of unlicensed firearms and ammunition, possession of explosives, possession of hijacked vehicles and conspiracy to commit theft of money in transit.

READ | Rosettenville 10: Case referred for further investigation

The defendants were arrested after the deadly shooting in Rosettenville, Johannesburg on Monday February 21.

The violent scene, described as a ‘war zone’ by eyewitnesses, saw police rush to Rosettenville, where they exchanged gunfire with heavily armed men believed to have been involved in robberies. money in transit and suspected of being on their way to withdraw another. work.

The case against 10 men linked to the deadly Rosettenville shooting that left eight dead has gone to Johannesburg Magistrates’ Court.

At least four police officers were injured in the process, News24 previously reported.

Gauteng Police Commissioner Lt. Gen. Elias Mawela said at the time the attackers were “hardcore criminals” who the police were watching.

According to Mawela, they were on their way to commit theft of cash in transit, News24 previously reported.

READ ALSO | Alleged ‘Rosettenville 10′ money-robbery gang to appear in Johannesburg Magistrates’ Court

Speaking to the media outside the court, National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) regional spokesperson Phindi Mjonondwane said investigations were still ongoing.

“The investigations are still at an embryonic stage, so we are still a bit far from having completed the investigations. It will be some time before we can prepare for the trial,” she explained.

The case returns to court on April 26.


Never miss a story. Choose from our range of newsletters to get the news you want straight to your inbox.

Share.

Comments are closed.